Friday, August 19, 2011

I could not find anybody to console me

 

Day   16. Admonition 13

Of Patience.

 

While a servant of God is content, they do not know how much interior patience and humility they have.

 

But when the time comes that those who ought to please them, go against them.

 

Then they have as much patience and humility as they show at this time, and no more.

 

But when the time comes that those who ought to please them, go against them.

 

 

Francis Psalm II reads

 

“My heart has grown accustomed to unhappiness and reproaches.

And I endured it when one person who should have sympathised with me did not, and when I could not find anybody to console me.” (Francis Psalm II 10-1;as translated by Sr. Giles EFO)

 

In his Psalm Francis refers to our Lord Jesus as he was on trial before Pontius Pilate. Though Jesus knew that Peter would betray him nevertheless he still acknowledged his humanity before his Father as he says ‘the one person who should have sympathised with me did not.

Jesus.

 

Francis takes this up again in his 13th admonition – adding that it is in these times when our friends desert us or turn against us that we have only as much patience, or enough of any of the virtues, as we have in these adverse moments.

 

 

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment